Skip to main content

What the Hell?

I just typed some stuff and now it's gone. That's a kick in the pants...and the cause for the title of this post.
So anyway...class #3 was this past Thursday and it once again felt a little bit like a review of things that I've been hearing for quite some time. This class focused on health.
Most of the stuff we talked about was limited to healthy eating. Having been a pseudo-athlete for most of my life I've got a pretty good idea of what it takes to be healthy, it's just a matter of actually doing it that flusters folks (namely me).
In addition to that, though, we did two other things.
The first was that we talked about face and skin care. Our instructor for this class was a woman in impeccable shape. She explained that our skin is our livelihood, in a sense, when working in this business, so we'd better take care of it...and then she accurately predicted that all of the guys in the room used the standard bar of body soap to wash their faces when showering. That's apparently not a great idea - you need face wash because it's made for your face whereas body wash is made for your body. Who knew?
There was a portion of the skin care section when she had us all put a cleansing lotion on our faces, then use lotion so she could get a good read on what kind of skin we all have. It felt gay. Very gay. Fortunately, 15 other people were doing it at the same time so we couldn't make fun of each other...misery loves company.
After that manh0od-endangerment we got to do some more in the form of runway walking. However, I'm OK with the runway stuff at this point because I've officially separated myself from the pack by being the best at it. I know that sounds like I'm just tooting my own horn (and who wouldn't? It's a beautiful horn to toot, trust me) but here's how I can back this up...
We started off by doing a normal treks across the stage, doing our pivots and acting like we were playing to the crowd and whatnot. After doing it once she (the instructor, I'm trying not to name names of agency-people) grabbed the two people who did it the best to use as examples. Who'd she pick? ...a bi-racial kid with braces and a killer swagger.
And me.
So we were the guinea pig for any tricks that she tried to throw at us in class and we completely knocked them outta the park. At one point she specifically told us "you guys are great at this, people are gonna eat you up." Encouraging, right? I know. I'm conversing with myself.
The rest of class was like that. She had us go one at a time and said she'd judge us as if she were holding an audition. She said I was one of the 2 or 3 people who did well enough that she'd hire. Wutta beast.

During the class I got a text from EJ saying that his agency was having a party Friday night and asking if I wanted to go too.
Yes. I did.
We headed downtown to E. 21st and Euclid Avenue, right near Cleveland State University, and across the street from Peabody's - a club that often has rock n roll type music. On this night, however, Peabody's featured a fall-down drunk man exiting before 7 p.m. We watched from the 5th floor balcony as this guy ran into the wall several times in a 200 foot stretch.
As for the actual party, when the two of us arrived we were the youngest people there by about 15 years. There seemed to be a lot of people that worked in other areas of the company rather than being models...or maybe they were just unattractive models.
At this point EJ confessed that he only actually knew two people who worked in this company, and one of them he had never met in person. We went to the bar and introduced ourselves to the delightful woman behind it, and it turned out that she just so happened to be the owner of the company...great first impression for us.
We hung out, ate some fruit (you are what you, right? It was a modeling agency, after all), and met with the two people who EJ knew - one of which introduced us to an interesting guy.
The guy turned out to be a photographer who started off as a model in the Canton area. After that went well, he moved out to LA (Huntington Beach) and became a successful photographer. Now he's back in Cleveland for a few months and is trying to film a movie of some sort and wanted to know how well we knew the city/if we'd be interested in being a part of it in some way.
Yes. We did.
He gave each of us one of his cards and we chatted him up about various things and had a grand old time. Real nice guy. I'll cave and link to him at www.gregjamesphoto.com to show that he exists.
The party was winding down a bit and the drunk guy we watched from the balcony went back inside so we called it a night around 8:00 and headed to Little Italy for the Feast of the Assumption. A good time was had by all as we checked out the band Disco Inferno and their hilarious 70s cover-band act.
Dancing with old women is a gift, and Adam Schultz has that gift.
I don't feel like writing anymore, so that's all for this edition.
Oh, and I saw one of the guys from my class at the Feast but he couldn't hear me yelling over the melodic sounds of Earth, Wind, and Fire's "September."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have to Write about Basketball

I have about an hour to write out my thoughts about the NBA Finals since I didn't want to at 1 a.m. and I have to be at work soon (and I'll be there for a longer-than-normal day). So here goes. 1) Everyone wants to talk about Steph Curry, and everyone should  be talking about Steph Curry. I don't get it. He's the best shooter in NBA history - although Klay Thompson is hot on his heels - and yet there's something amiss at surprising times. I don't believe in "clutch" the way a lot of people do, because if Steph doesn't hit a million threes all the time, the Warriors are never in position for him to take a game-winner in the Finals (they also don't make the Finals). All of them are worth three points, so they need the first one as much as they need the last one. But something kind of happens, doesn't it? And doesn't it affect his legacy a tiny bit? Steph shot 34.3% on three-pointers this series. Toronto was all over  him defensivel

I Think I'm Afraid of Art

For a little while now I've been feeling a bit empty. Part of it is the overarching malaise of living in 2018 America. Part of it is being at a crossroads in life and not knowing which way to turn. Part of it is because it's been 90+ degrees outside for most of the past month. There's not really a great answer to all of it, but it's happening. But one of the things that I keep thinking about is how I think I'd like to start drawing. Or painting. Or something. I want to make visual art, but I'm completely terrified of it. What's more, I don't think I consider my own artistic pursuits to be "good" enough to actually pursue. I explored this idea a little bit on an Instagram post where I edited a photo, and it has kept me thinking further about this. With words, I don't have any issues with confidence, and that means I don't second-guess what I said. Even if I say something that pisses people off, I have confidence in the fact that I (

Shenandoah, Northern Virginia, and Racists

Jenna and I spent a chunk of this week in Northern Virginia, in the area around Shenandoah National Park. Shenandoah (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly for my entire life) was great. There were hikes of all levels and lengths, varying difficulty, varying crowd-levels, and lots more. The park wasn't in full-swing yet, as some of the camping areas don't open until "summer," but there were still plenty of people out enjoying nature, which is nice. Being in nature gets me thinking. After a day of driving along Skyline Drive and doing several small hikes, we hiked a trail called Bearfence . After an incredibly fun scramble up the rocks to the actual peak, we were greeted with what I can only imagine is the best lookout point in the entire park. Sitting on top of a mountain - looking over dozens of other mountains - is a special feeling. As tiny houses in tiny faraway towns fill your vision, you start to think about how those are just people. From