Skip to main content

Florence

And the Machine, am I right??

But seriously, if you want jokes, that's cool. I'm gonna tell you about the city of Florence real quick, and it's one of my favorite cities in Europe/the world (which really only consists of Europe and like 1/8 of the US because that's all I've seen).

Florence, more-so than London, New York, Paris, or anywhere, is the city of art. Oh, you "don't like art"? There are still museums full of stuff you'd like in Florence - it's out of control. According to Tripadvisor there are 83 museums in Florence, and the majority are in an area of about 1 square mile. It's crazy.

We skipped out on the Uffizi Gallery, known as one of the world's best (and home of the Birth of Venus by Botticelli), because of the long lines and because I'd been there before and was overwhelmed by the size and underwhelmed by the variety for long stretches. We opted for a trip to the Bargello Museum, which was about 5 euro and had works by several ninja turtles, notably Donatello's version of the David. It was quite nice. It also had an extensive collection of ivory carvings, Roman feats of Hercules, a weird menagerie of sculptures, and a bust of...someone enormous. Photos from Bargello below.



The loveliest of the public spaces is the Piazza della Signoria, right in the center of the city, about 100 feet from the entrance of the Uffizi Gallery. This area also has the Palazzo Vecchio, which was a royal palace from medieval times but is now an art museum. It also has statues galore, including in a little nook on the square. This nook is my favorite place in the city. (Aside, the front of the Palazzo Vecchio has a replica of the statue of David, which we'll get to. It's exactly the same as the real one, so it's rather beautiful, but it doesn't wow you. It's actually the original location of Michelangelo's David, but they moved it inside eventually)

Some of the highlights of the view from the sculpture-nook I mentioned above.




Next, sunsets in Florence are beautiful. Along the Arno River are several bridges, so if you get the right position and the right light...wowzer.


Two more things: The church and the David. The church is famous for being one of the finest in Italy, and I agree. The duomo of Florence is wonderful. It's ornate, it's huge, it's colorful, it has one of the largest brick domes in the world (despite being built 600 years ago), and the painting of the inside of the dome is nearly as impressive as the stuff on the outside. It's impossible to miss if you visit Florence, but it's hard to find a good place to take a photo of it, due to the Baptistry directly in front of it, taking up most of the otherwise open piazza.


 detail of the door
 At night!

And the last thing, the David. Michelangelo's masterpiece is widely considered to be the finest piece of art in the world, so it makes sense that it's in Florence. Summertime features lines that queue for hours to get into the museum and reservation-tickets (so you have a set time to visit) sell out weeks in advance. We were there on a January weekend and arrived at the museum at 8:15 a.m. when it opened and we were the 3rd and 4th people in line.

The only way to describe the David is by saying that you become OK with the general consensus that it's the best. It might not actually be the best, but it's good enough that you wouldn't argue.

The thing is incredible. It's at the end of a hallway in an alcove specifically designed to fit it. It's 17 feet tall. It's gorgeous. You've already seen the identical replica from Palazzo Vecchio and know exactly what it looks like, but you're somehow unprepared for the real thing. It freezes you. You walk around it for a solid 30 minutes, admiring and noticing everything. You struggle to see if there are actually slingshot rocks in his hand or if the hand is just cupped. You stare at his eyes, waiting for them to meet yours, but they continue their gaze high above your head. You wonder how much the original chunk of marble must have weighed. You notice the sling over his back. You notice the smashed toes that turned out to be from a psycho who attacked it with a hammer in the 90s. You eventually notice that there's other stuff in the museum, but you don't really care.

This is David. He's beautiful.



Finally, as an added bonus, you can go up across the river to the top of a plaza (Piazza Michelangelo) and stare across at Tuscany's biggest city in all its Tuscan glory. If you look off the other sides, it's hills and rivers, but this view is the best.

Duomo on the left, Santa Croce in the middle

Florence is wonderful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have to Write about Basketball

I have about an hour to write out my thoughts about the NBA Finals since I didn't want to at 1 a.m. and I have to be at work soon (and I'll be there for a longer-than-normal day). So here goes. 1) Everyone wants to talk about Steph Curry, and everyone should  be talking about Steph Curry. I don't get it. He's the best shooter in NBA history - although Klay Thompson is hot on his heels - and yet there's something amiss at surprising times. I don't believe in "clutch" the way a lot of people do, because if Steph doesn't hit a million threes all the time, the Warriors are never in position for him to take a game-winner in the Finals (they also don't make the Finals). All of them are worth three points, so they need the first one as much as they need the last one. But something kind of happens, doesn't it? And doesn't it affect his legacy a tiny bit? Steph shot 34.3% on three-pointers this series. Toronto was all over  him defensivel

I Think I'm Afraid of Art

For a little while now I've been feeling a bit empty. Part of it is the overarching malaise of living in 2018 America. Part of it is being at a crossroads in life and not knowing which way to turn. Part of it is because it's been 90+ degrees outside for most of the past month. There's not really a great answer to all of it, but it's happening. But one of the things that I keep thinking about is how I think I'd like to start drawing. Or painting. Or something. I want to make visual art, but I'm completely terrified of it. What's more, I don't think I consider my own artistic pursuits to be "good" enough to actually pursue. I explored this idea a little bit on an Instagram post where I edited a photo, and it has kept me thinking further about this. With words, I don't have any issues with confidence, and that means I don't second-guess what I said. Even if I say something that pisses people off, I have confidence in the fact that I (

Shenandoah, Northern Virginia, and Racists

Jenna and I spent a chunk of this week in Northern Virginia, in the area around Shenandoah National Park. Shenandoah (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly for my entire life) was great. There were hikes of all levels and lengths, varying difficulty, varying crowd-levels, and lots more. The park wasn't in full-swing yet, as some of the camping areas don't open until "summer," but there were still plenty of people out enjoying nature, which is nice. Being in nature gets me thinking. After a day of driving along Skyline Drive and doing several small hikes, we hiked a trail called Bearfence . After an incredibly fun scramble up the rocks to the actual peak, we were greeted with what I can only imagine is the best lookout point in the entire park. Sitting on top of a mountain - looking over dozens of other mountains - is a special feeling. As tiny houses in tiny faraway towns fill your vision, you start to think about how those are just people. From