Skip to main content

Road Trip!

I teased this a little about two weeks ago, but now we're here and ready to talk about a little road trip that we took. The plan was simple: Get a place to stay near Florence (but not in Florence), have a good old-fashioned Italian farmhouse meal, and drive around Tuscany, mainly looking for hill towns.

In practice, it was at least that simple - maybe simpler.

You can't end up in a bad place. Everywhere is beautiful, even if it was a little hazy at times. It was February 28 when we left, so it was supposed to be cold, but we were going south without much knowledge of the elevation at-play on this trip. Our first stop answered some questions.


A sign on the highway pointed toward a (maybe) national park of the lakes Suviana and Brasimone. I don't know which on this actually is, but it was beautiful. We had a nice time tossing  rocks into the lake and watching the ice spider-web. Quite a setting.

We hopped back in the car, periodically pulling over to take photos, and made our way to San Gimignano. Before you walk into the main gate of the city, here's the standard Tuscan-view.


The town itself is famous for having about a dozen still-standing medieval defense towers. That and it's entirely car-free in the middle of town, so you really feel like you've gone back in time a bit - extra remarkable if it's one of your first stops in Europe.



Back in the car. Next stop, our Agriturismo. It's called I Viticci and they were lovely. They appeared to have olive oil production onsite and according to their site they produce wine, olive oil, jam and honey - all of which were displayed and available for us guests. We had an absolutely ridiculous 5-course meal: an appetizer plate, a pasta plate, bread, a meat-plate, and a dessert plate, plus all the bottled water and bottled wine we could want. It was awesome.

The only downside was that we had about 90 seconds of hot water in our shower. It was supposed to get fixed, and we mentioned it, and they said it was fixed, but no such luck.

The next morning we set off for the most impossible place in the world. Civita di Bagnoregio. It's an earth-island, if that makes any sense. And if it doesn't make sense, here's what I mean.


Everything about this place is insane. Streets end in cliffs, cats roam free, no one seems to live anywhere, and the dirt is freshly fallen on the cliff-sides. It's wonderful. Staring off into the distance seems unlike anywhere else in the country.


But as time ticked away, we got back in the car and headed for our next place. This time we would do a driveby of a town called Orvieto. It also lives on top of a wall of cliffs.


With nowhere to *actually* be but lost that we wanted to see, we just drove. The views across giant rolling-hill-valleys were wonderful, but it was hazy and the photos won't do it justice. We slowly made our way to a place called Castiglione del Lago on Lake Trasimeno. Had we taken the direct route, driving between here and Orvieto would've taken about 30 minutes. It took almost two hours instead.



Big castle. On a lake. At sunset. In central Italy. Life was good.

By the time we went back toward our agriturismo, we figured we ought to try seeing Florence lit-up at night.


Worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have to Write about Basketball

I have about an hour to write out my thoughts about the NBA Finals since I didn't want to at 1 a.m. and I have to be at work soon (and I'll be there for a longer-than-normal day). So here goes. 1) Everyone wants to talk about Steph Curry, and everyone should  be talking about Steph Curry. I don't get it. He's the best shooter in NBA history - although Klay Thompson is hot on his heels - and yet there's something amiss at surprising times. I don't believe in "clutch" the way a lot of people do, because if Steph doesn't hit a million threes all the time, the Warriors are never in position for him to take a game-winner in the Finals (they also don't make the Finals). All of them are worth three points, so they need the first one as much as they need the last one. But something kind of happens, doesn't it? And doesn't it affect his legacy a tiny bit? Steph shot 34.3% on three-pointers this series. Toronto was all over  him defensivel

I Think I'm Afraid of Art

For a little while now I've been feeling a bit empty. Part of it is the overarching malaise of living in 2018 America. Part of it is being at a crossroads in life and not knowing which way to turn. Part of it is because it's been 90+ degrees outside for most of the past month. There's not really a great answer to all of it, but it's happening. But one of the things that I keep thinking about is how I think I'd like to start drawing. Or painting. Or something. I want to make visual art, but I'm completely terrified of it. What's more, I don't think I consider my own artistic pursuits to be "good" enough to actually pursue. I explored this idea a little bit on an Instagram post where I edited a photo, and it has kept me thinking further about this. With words, I don't have any issues with confidence, and that means I don't second-guess what I said. Even if I say something that pisses people off, I have confidence in the fact that I (

Shenandoah, Northern Virginia, and Racists

Jenna and I spent a chunk of this week in Northern Virginia, in the area around Shenandoah National Park. Shenandoah (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly for my entire life) was great. There were hikes of all levels and lengths, varying difficulty, varying crowd-levels, and lots more. The park wasn't in full-swing yet, as some of the camping areas don't open until "summer," but there were still plenty of people out enjoying nature, which is nice. Being in nature gets me thinking. After a day of driving along Skyline Drive and doing several small hikes, we hiked a trail called Bearfence . After an incredibly fun scramble up the rocks to the actual peak, we were greeted with what I can only imagine is the best lookout point in the entire park. Sitting on top of a mountain - looking over dozens of other mountains - is a special feeling. As tiny houses in tiny faraway towns fill your vision, you start to think about how those are just people. From