Skip to main content

Wednesday Freewrite

When I was in college I had a nonfiction writing class with a woman named Diana Hume George. I've thought about her more than most any of my professors over the years and I'm 100% sure she doesn't remember me at all. I found a couple of the essays I wrote in her class and I'd like to go back in time and thank her for not failing me because, wow, those were trash.

In any case, she had us do an activity that I love. I loved it then and I love it now. I force it on students of mine when they get writer's block on an essay and I tried to encourage a couple of my Italian students to use it as well. Here's how it worked:

Five minutes and a prompt. She would give a prompt like "I remember the last time I..." or "I always liked the sound of..." and she would tap a tuning fork. Your pencil was on the paper when the tuning fork dinged and it was not to leave the paper until she dinged it again five minutes later. It didn't matter if it was coherent, jumbled, or pristine. The only rules were that you could not edit and you could not stop writing.

At the end of the five minutes you could either read it aloud to your classmates or stay in silence while others read.

What made this exercise so wonderful is that you'd find these bizarrely poignant thoughts buried in the middle of a diatribe about how Ramen noodles had so much sodium that you couldn't possibly be expected to live past 45 with them as a staple of your diet. Nobody cares about the Ramen, but that random sentence about finding the right balance between foodstuff and not depriving yourself of what makes you happy? That's nice.

With that in mind and a slow day at work, I did a five minute free-write. I did it by hand because I was thinking about writing by hand and how I don't do it anymore. That was my prompt. Below is an unedited transcript of my five minute free-write. I'd love to know what anyone thinks of it, although I realize that no one's going to comment on this.

Here goes.

"I miss writing by hand. There's something nostalgic about it even though I'm so bad at it. It's a hallmark of days gone by in a time when days gone by are re-inserting themselves into pop culture. But why? Yes we remember the past but that doesn't mean Full House needs to come back. It doesn't mean that bell bottoms are coming back (even if they did in 2003). And it doesn't mean that we need #TBT to be the most popular phrase on social media. This is the most I've hand-written in a really long time and my hand is getting really tired. But it's still a useful skill, right? Do I need this anymore? Can I still feel the emotion of hand-writing in a way that I can't with typed words? Can you imagine writing poetry on a computer? That would be so lame. Why would anyone believe the words? On the other hand, that's how they would read it, so maybe this is all just in my head and makes perfect sense in reality."

I like free-writes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have to Write about Basketball

I have about an hour to write out my thoughts about the NBA Finals since I didn't want to at 1 a.m. and I have to be at work soon (and I'll be there for a longer-than-normal day). So here goes. 1) Everyone wants to talk about Steph Curry, and everyone should  be talking about Steph Curry. I don't get it. He's the best shooter in NBA history - although Klay Thompson is hot on his heels - and yet there's something amiss at surprising times. I don't believe in "clutch" the way a lot of people do, because if Steph doesn't hit a million threes all the time, the Warriors are never in position for him to take a game-winner in the Finals (they also don't make the Finals). All of them are worth three points, so they need the first one as much as they need the last one. But something kind of happens, doesn't it? And doesn't it affect his legacy a tiny bit? Steph shot 34.3% on three-pointers this series. Toronto was all over  him defensivel

I Think I'm Afraid of Art

For a little while now I've been feeling a bit empty. Part of it is the overarching malaise of living in 2018 America. Part of it is being at a crossroads in life and not knowing which way to turn. Part of it is because it's been 90+ degrees outside for most of the past month. There's not really a great answer to all of it, but it's happening. But one of the things that I keep thinking about is how I think I'd like to start drawing. Or painting. Or something. I want to make visual art, but I'm completely terrified of it. What's more, I don't think I consider my own artistic pursuits to be "good" enough to actually pursue. I explored this idea a little bit on an Instagram post where I edited a photo, and it has kept me thinking further about this. With words, I don't have any issues with confidence, and that means I don't second-guess what I said. Even if I say something that pisses people off, I have confidence in the fact that I (

Shenandoah, Northern Virginia, and Racists

Jenna and I spent a chunk of this week in Northern Virginia, in the area around Shenandoah National Park. Shenandoah (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly for my entire life) was great. There were hikes of all levels and lengths, varying difficulty, varying crowd-levels, and lots more. The park wasn't in full-swing yet, as some of the camping areas don't open until "summer," but there were still plenty of people out enjoying nature, which is nice. Being in nature gets me thinking. After a day of driving along Skyline Drive and doing several small hikes, we hiked a trail called Bearfence . After an incredibly fun scramble up the rocks to the actual peak, we were greeted with what I can only imagine is the best lookout point in the entire park. Sitting on top of a mountain - looking over dozens of other mountains - is a special feeling. As tiny houses in tiny faraway towns fill your vision, you start to think about how those are just people. From