Skip to main content

How do you pick a place?

Traveling is good. Traveling does things to you that staying in one place cannot. But traveling poses one of the most difficult questions that a person can be faced with: Where do you want to go?

Most people have a list of places that they'd like to go. Depending on your station in life, that list might include Paris, Tokyo, Disney World, Bora Bora, or Branson, Missouri - all of which are fine choices, if given the right set of circumstances. But that list is probably longer than one place, and you're almost certainly not spending an unlimited amount of time in whichever place you choose, so how you do decide where to go and what to do while you're there?

The truth is that it's hard. I'm lucky, I know it. I've been a lot of places - more places than were originally on my "I have to go there before I die" list, if I'm being honest. And yet, I still want to go places. Every time one place gets crossed off the list, another place gets added. Why? Insatiable thirst for new experiences, I guess, but maybe also just greed.

But maybe it's actually because the first time you go someplace that was on your list, you get an incredible high. That high is slightly lower the next time you cross a place off your list, because the first place was the one you wanted to go to the most. Now that you're going to a place that might be similar to the first place you wanted, you kind of know what to expect. You're harder to "wow."

Does this sound like a drug addiction? Because that's exactly what it's like.

Traveling is an addiction. The first time I left the country was in 2012. I spent 19 days in Europe with one of my best friends. We spent a few days in Vienna, a day in Venice, a day in Bologna, a few days in Florence, a day in Cinque Terre, a day in Milan, a day in Lake Como, another day in Milan (three nights in Milan!), a night on a train to Munich, two days in Munich, and a couple of nights in Prague. Everything was new. Everything was different. We had never experienced anything remotely like it before (unless you count our 8th grade field trip to Toronto, which...you shouldn't count that), and every step of the way offered new experiences and excitement.

18 months later, he lived in London. I went to visit him and took my now-wife along to see him. We visited London, Paris, and a couple of non-London things in England. It was incredible, but I also knew what to expect. It was great, but it wasn't quite as great as the time 18 months earlier. Six months after visiting him, we moved to Milan (there's a lot of Milan here, but I promise it's not that great of a place).

It was the best experience of my life, largely because it allowed us to go a ton of different places for a few days at a time. We acted at the mercy of wherever we could get cheap flights or convenient train tickets, ultimately visiting at least 20 different places over the course of nine months - the real number is probably 15 countries and 35 cities. At some point, after the no-brainer choices of Athens, Rome, Florence, Venice, small-town Switzerland, French Riviera, and a few others were already checked off, we made a physical list of places we would like to go before we moved back to the States. We had about 15 weekends left and we struggled to come up with a list of 15 places we'd like to go.

But we did. And we went to them. And they were incredible. But the fact still remained that we had never "intended" to go to Malta for a weekend - it was never on either of our "we have to go there" lists. Yet somehow, Malta holds some of our favorite memories of our entire year. It's a place that didn't make the "places I need to see" list until my original list in life had been totally completed.

So how do you choose?

At this point, I know that I'll almost certainly never experience the same shock and awe the way I did in 2012. Nor will I feel the same thing I felt the first time I saw the Eiffel Tower. I also won't feel that true sense of bewilderment when we hopped off a train in Mattinata, in southern Italy, realizing that our entire plan to come to this town was based off a conversation I'd had several months earlier but had wholly forgotten. But those are the experiences that turn out the best.

At this point, the best way to travel is to not know what's going to happen. Going on a hiking trip? OK, decide where we want to sleep at night and we'll wing it during the day. Maybe that means we'll end up doing a 10 mile hike, maybe it means we'll instead find a river-lake and just go swimming for two hours instead. Maybe when we're at the river we'll see at bald eagle swoop in and snag a fish. Who knows?

Our last big trip was a safari, which is something you can't do in the States. Before that it was Costa Rica, where you could see monkeys from arm's length away, sloths within ten feet, and volcanoes. And beaches. And toucans. And so much more.

Now what's left is finding places that look different or feel different or offer something I've never seen. I want to see a moose. I want to see a grizzly bear. I want to see the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon in fading sunlight. My tastes have become more specific as a result of the good fortune of having done so many large-scale amazing things.

I'm spoiled. I know. I'm grateful for it. And I still want to get out and do more.

As with so many good things: too much is never enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have to Write about Basketball

I have about an hour to write out my thoughts about the NBA Finals since I didn't want to at 1 a.m. and I have to be at work soon (and I'll be there for a longer-than-normal day). So here goes. 1) Everyone wants to talk about Steph Curry, and everyone should  be talking about Steph Curry. I don't get it. He's the best shooter in NBA history - although Klay Thompson is hot on his heels - and yet there's something amiss at surprising times. I don't believe in "clutch" the way a lot of people do, because if Steph doesn't hit a million threes all the time, the Warriors are never in position for him to take a game-winner in the Finals (they also don't make the Finals). All of them are worth three points, so they need the first one as much as they need the last one. But something kind of happens, doesn't it? And doesn't it affect his legacy a tiny bit? Steph shot 34.3% on three-pointers this series. Toronto was all over  him defensivel

I Think I'm Afraid of Art

For a little while now I've been feeling a bit empty. Part of it is the overarching malaise of living in 2018 America. Part of it is being at a crossroads in life and not knowing which way to turn. Part of it is because it's been 90+ degrees outside for most of the past month. There's not really a great answer to all of it, but it's happening. But one of the things that I keep thinking about is how I think I'd like to start drawing. Or painting. Or something. I want to make visual art, but I'm completely terrified of it. What's more, I don't think I consider my own artistic pursuits to be "good" enough to actually pursue. I explored this idea a little bit on an Instagram post where I edited a photo, and it has kept me thinking further about this. With words, I don't have any issues with confidence, and that means I don't second-guess what I said. Even if I say something that pisses people off, I have confidence in the fact that I (

Shenandoah, Northern Virginia, and Racists

Jenna and I spent a chunk of this week in Northern Virginia, in the area around Shenandoah National Park. Shenandoah (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly for my entire life) was great. There were hikes of all levels and lengths, varying difficulty, varying crowd-levels, and lots more. The park wasn't in full-swing yet, as some of the camping areas don't open until "summer," but there were still plenty of people out enjoying nature, which is nice. Being in nature gets me thinking. After a day of driving along Skyline Drive and doing several small hikes, we hiked a trail called Bearfence . After an incredibly fun scramble up the rocks to the actual peak, we were greeted with what I can only imagine is the best lookout point in the entire park. Sitting on top of a mountain - looking over dozens of other mountains - is a special feeling. As tiny houses in tiny faraway towns fill your vision, you start to think about how those are just people. From