Skip to main content

Have You Guys Heard About Kids?

Whoa. They're bananas.

And if you think yours are bad or chaotic or the best or the worst, just know that someone out there probably has you beat. If you've been watching Maury for years, you know this already, but if you're under a rock and just kind of passing the time, let me tell you some tidbits about the kids I've met recently.

One family has four boys between the ages of six and nine. That's a nine-year-old, a seven-year-old, and twin six-year-olds. So mom and dad were thinking of trying one last time for a girl and got two boys. They are boys, which means they like to pound each other's faces and bodies at all times. It harkens to all of those adages about moms being the best or moms having the hardest jobs or blah blah blah. If it were that hard, how come like 3,000,000,000 people have that job?? (But seriously, that mom is a hero)

One family has two daughters, aged 11 and 14, who are clearly smarter than me. They speak four languages, read books non-stop in their spare time, are more professional, courteous, and just, iduno, more world-savvy than anyone you probably know (including a certain half-assed blogger who is galavanting/teaching around Europe).

One family has a top-5 ranked fencer in the Italian fencing rankings at age 13. He would've won nationals this year, by his own admission, if he had longer reach.

Another family has children under the age of six who can currently speak three languages.

Still another family has a kid who is so poorly-behaved that they can't hold a nanny for more than three months at a time.

Some kid in one of my school-classes has the habit of quite literally standing up and walking around the room for the entirety of the class-period. By this I mean the other-teacher has to literally sit next to him so that he's blocked in by her, the desk in front of him, and the desk behind him. On the occasion that she can't sit next to him, he will get up and wander, copying others' homework, being generally annoying, and trying to talk to me personally.

There are also some nice, normal, cute kids out there, so not all hope is lost. One little-sibling has been known to run up to me during a lesson and shout "Yes! Yes!" because it's the only English word he knows and he wants to impress the English teacher.

Kids are weird. They're fun, they're sometimes cute, they're usually very dirty, and you can lift them up over your head without getting in much trouble. They're kind of like pillows that talk.

Ooh, can you imagine if your pillow could talk? And someday grow to resent you, followed by learning to love you anew, and even more than before?

I'm guessing that's what parenthood is like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have to Write about Basketball

I have about an hour to write out my thoughts about the NBA Finals since I didn't want to at 1 a.m. and I have to be at work soon (and I'll be there for a longer-than-normal day). So here goes. 1) Everyone wants to talk about Steph Curry, and everyone should  be talking about Steph Curry. I don't get it. He's the best shooter in NBA history - although Klay Thompson is hot on his heels - and yet there's something amiss at surprising times. I don't believe in "clutch" the way a lot of people do, because if Steph doesn't hit a million threes all the time, the Warriors are never in position for him to take a game-winner in the Finals (they also don't make the Finals). All of them are worth three points, so they need the first one as much as they need the last one. But something kind of happens, doesn't it? And doesn't it affect his legacy a tiny bit? Steph shot 34.3% on three-pointers this series. Toronto was all over  him defensivel

I Think I'm Afraid of Art

For a little while now I've been feeling a bit empty. Part of it is the overarching malaise of living in 2018 America. Part of it is being at a crossroads in life and not knowing which way to turn. Part of it is because it's been 90+ degrees outside for most of the past month. There's not really a great answer to all of it, but it's happening. But one of the things that I keep thinking about is how I think I'd like to start drawing. Or painting. Or something. I want to make visual art, but I'm completely terrified of it. What's more, I don't think I consider my own artistic pursuits to be "good" enough to actually pursue. I explored this idea a little bit on an Instagram post where I edited a photo, and it has kept me thinking further about this. With words, I don't have any issues with confidence, and that means I don't second-guess what I said. Even if I say something that pisses people off, I have confidence in the fact that I (

Shenandoah, Northern Virginia, and Racists

Jenna and I spent a chunk of this week in Northern Virginia, in the area around Shenandoah National Park. Shenandoah (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly for my entire life) was great. There were hikes of all levels and lengths, varying difficulty, varying crowd-levels, and lots more. The park wasn't in full-swing yet, as some of the camping areas don't open until "summer," but there were still plenty of people out enjoying nature, which is nice. Being in nature gets me thinking. After a day of driving along Skyline Drive and doing several small hikes, we hiked a trail called Bearfence . After an incredibly fun scramble up the rocks to the actual peak, we were greeted with what I can only imagine is the best lookout point in the entire park. Sitting on top of a mountain - looking over dozens of other mountains - is a special feeling. As tiny houses in tiny faraway towns fill your vision, you start to think about how those are just people. From