Skip to main content

Rome Antics (part 1)

The Eternal City, the birthplace of seemingly everything, one of the most history-rich places on the planet, and a hell of a place to spend four days. We planned to visit Rome for a while but we needed a long-weekend to make it work. We found that long weekend in February (normally the worst month of the year, but it wasn't bad in Italy) and headed out Thursday morning with a return train Sunday night.

The train to Rome took us farther south in Italy than we'd previously been, so that was cool. We got to see more countryside from the train than before and even spotted a few hill-towns off in the distance.

The difficult thing with writing about Rome, and the reason I've been putting this off for months, is that everything in Rome deserves your attention. Everything that we took a photo of has a story, and those stories are slightly more familiar than they are in other places. Everything is so grand, so incredible, so ostentatious, so brilliant, or so classically lovely, that it makes you want to know everything about it.

The first thing we saw upon leaving the train station was remnants of the Baths of Diocletian. You should probably Wiki everything I mention The remains were spread out over what seemed like 8 city blocks, and formally were (allegedly) set to take up about 120,000 square *meters* of space. That's about 30 acres.

We dropped our stuff off at the hotel and walked down Via Nazionale past some very official-looking building and came up on the back of Trajan's Market (and the adjacent forum), which some of you would recognize as the thing painted on Mr. Prueter's wall in high school. This made my heart skip a beat. Seeing the things you've only heard about and seen photos of is an experience that I wish upon any/everyone. As we strolled down the stairs and past the building, we came to Trajan's Column with a backdrop of the Vittorio Emanuele memorial, which is gigantic.

More importantly, the main street here is the Via dei Fori Imperiali - the Street of the Imperial Forums - and it's the coolest place in the world. On one side is the main forum area with Caesar's forum and the official Roman Forum, and on the other side is Trajan's Forum with the Form of Augustus at its side. And then in front of you...

The view down the street

We quickly bought tickets that were good for the Forum and the Colosseum over two days and began marching around the Forum. What an experience. I know that millions of people visit it every year, so I'm no more special than any of them, but what an unbelievable, unfathomable, incredible place. Temples, arches, columns, facades, remnants, ruins, and plans all stare at you from 2000+ years ago. It's nearly impossible to comprehend the size and scale of everything, and when you get on top of the Palatine Hill, it starts to feel a little more real.



From up there we wandered and looked and saw St. Peter's off in the distance (technically another country), we explored the outside of the Palatine Hill Museum area - replete with ground-mosaics from two millennia ago - and tried to picture the way things used to be, we looked into exercise yards, fountains, and living quarters, and we exited the park near the Arch of Constantine and remains of an old aqueduct. 

How do you top that??

You walk the length of the Circus Maximus and make your way toward the Pantheon, of course.

Like I said, the problem with Rome is that everything is something. We passed a four-way arch. No idea what that was. We then passed some small temple-like buildings that were clearly ancient, but no explanation of them because they're not the big stuff. And then over by the Pantheon we found Torre Argentina. This is allegedly where Julius Caesar was murdered. But now? It's a cat-shelter. Talk to my better-half about this: We bought a keychain and she took about 80 photos.

Finally, we reached the Pantheon. It was awesome. And kinda crowded, but not as crowded as you might expect.



In the quest to put in 20 miles of walking, we strolled Piazza Navona and its fountains, although there was nothing much happening in the square at the time, so we carried on for some gelato. We found ourselves near Sant'Angelo as the sun was going down and got some nice photos, then took a long walk back toward our hotel, detouring to see the Colosseum at night.

At risk of writing 1500 words and 10 photos about one day in Rome (out of 4), I'm trying to cut myself off and leave some pics here. Enjoy.






Oh, there was also some slight work being done to Trevi Fountain.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have to Write about Basketball

I have about an hour to write out my thoughts about the NBA Finals since I didn't want to at 1 a.m. and I have to be at work soon (and I'll be there for a longer-than-normal day). So here goes. 1) Everyone wants to talk about Steph Curry, and everyone should  be talking about Steph Curry. I don't get it. He's the best shooter in NBA history - although Klay Thompson is hot on his heels - and yet there's something amiss at surprising times. I don't believe in "clutch" the way a lot of people do, because if Steph doesn't hit a million threes all the time, the Warriors are never in position for him to take a game-winner in the Finals (they also don't make the Finals). All of them are worth three points, so they need the first one as much as they need the last one. But something kind of happens, doesn't it? And doesn't it affect his legacy a tiny bit? Steph shot 34.3% on three-pointers this series. Toronto was all over  him defensivel

I Think I'm Afraid of Art

For a little while now I've been feeling a bit empty. Part of it is the overarching malaise of living in 2018 America. Part of it is being at a crossroads in life and not knowing which way to turn. Part of it is because it's been 90+ degrees outside for most of the past month. There's not really a great answer to all of it, but it's happening. But one of the things that I keep thinking about is how I think I'd like to start drawing. Or painting. Or something. I want to make visual art, but I'm completely terrified of it. What's more, I don't think I consider my own artistic pursuits to be "good" enough to actually pursue. I explored this idea a little bit on an Instagram post where I edited a photo, and it has kept me thinking further about this. With words, I don't have any issues with confidence, and that means I don't second-guess what I said. Even if I say something that pisses people off, I have confidence in the fact that I (

Shenandoah, Northern Virginia, and Racists

Jenna and I spent a chunk of this week in Northern Virginia, in the area around Shenandoah National Park. Shenandoah (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly for my entire life) was great. There were hikes of all levels and lengths, varying difficulty, varying crowd-levels, and lots more. The park wasn't in full-swing yet, as some of the camping areas don't open until "summer," but there were still plenty of people out enjoying nature, which is nice. Being in nature gets me thinking. After a day of driving along Skyline Drive and doing several small hikes, we hiked a trail called Bearfence . After an incredibly fun scramble up the rocks to the actual peak, we were greeted with what I can only imagine is the best lookout point in the entire park. Sitting on top of a mountain - looking over dozens of other mountains - is a special feeling. As tiny houses in tiny faraway towns fill your vision, you start to think about how those are just people. From